Schwarzenberg shipping canal

Logo NS Schw. pl. kanálThe nature trail was officially opened on 17.5.2003 and leads from the parking area called Jelení Vrchy (Deer hills), (at the bottom of the portal), alongside this immovable cultural heritage of technical importance (registered in the heritage list 31.10.1963) to Raškov above Nová Pec, where motorists can also park.

TunelThe 9 km long canal connects many attractive parts of the technical work: Starting from the tunnel (currently 397.22 meters long) with the architecturally precious entry portals, connecting Jelení smyk (Deer flume) coming from Jelení jezírko (Deer lake), Rosenauer chapel at the junction with Jezerní potok (Lake Stream) coming from Plešné Lake, Jezerní smyk (Lake flume), the aqueduct near Rossbach, which is also the viaduct over the Koňský potok (Horse stream) running from the feeder reservoir Říjiště, the "unforgotten" (unvergessen) stone bench, several sluice-gates and canal locks along the entire canal but most of all the beauty of the Šumava nature with its unforgettable sounds, smells and sensations. 

The trail is suitable for everyone: cyclists, hikers, cross-country skiers in winter and considering the fairly flat and easy terrain, the area has good accessibility for wheelchairs and other visitors.

Jelení jezírko

 

 

History: 
The Schwarzenberg Shipping Canal was built in the watershed of the rivers Vltava and Danube as an important transport route for timber from the Šumava forests.Rosenauerův pomník

The construction was initiated on 29 April 1789 (from Růžový Vrch (Rose Hill) or (Koranda), i.e. approximately 4 km from the village of St. Tomáš) - the author of the project, the building supervisor and the first director of the Duke's timber shipping was ing. Joseph Rosenauer (1735-1804), a native of Chvalšiny, from the district of Český Krumlov. 

The first voyage ("the old" canal measured 39.9 km) took place on 12th April 1791.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the canal was extended to a length of 52 km (of which 37 km ran through Czech territory, including the 429 m long tunnel near Jelení Vrchy). The shipping canal was fed with water from 27 streams, Plešné Lake and from the three man-made reservoirs, the (Rosenauer, Jelení and Říjiště reservoirs).

The Danube shipping route (from the canal to the River Gr. Mühl to the Danube and then on to Vienna) lasted about 100 years and during that time, almost 8 million cubic meters of wood was floated before it all ended in 1892.

The shipping on the canal towards Bohemia (using the Želnavský flume built in 1887) lasted until 1961. The canal was of great importance for the development of the territory - many new villages were founded, including Nová Pec, Huťský Dvůr, Jelení Vrchy, Stožec, Nové Údolí and others. 


  • Facebook
  • Send by e-mail
  • Print